Pulpfiction Books, Vancouver's largest independent used & new bookstore, is hiring for a full-time (40 hr/week) position, available immediately, and two part-time (20-30 hr/week) positions with flexible start dates later on in the fall.
Successful candidates will have:
• AT LEAST 2 years of used/new bookselling experience, with additional experience warmly welcomed. Please note that bookselling experience is ESSENTIAL for these current positions; while we *theoretically* welcome resumes from folks with no bookstore experience at all, we're super-busy at the moment and have no time to train new staff from scratch.
• The ability to think quickly under pressure in an absurdly busy retail environment, and abundant common sense.
• Deep familiarity with relatively obscure authors and micro-genres. If Kenneth Patchen, the Strugatsky brothers, Jack Ketchum, Tucker Coe, Maureen McHugh and Victor Serge are familiar to you, you'll probably get along just fine with us.
• Previous cash handling experience and basic familiarity with a variety of record-keeping systems and databases (Book Manager; Word; Excel; Filemaker)
• Patience in the face of endless requests for books you've never heard of (every day, guaranteed!). And bibliographic research skills, that will help you educate yourself, your co-workers, and customers about the same.
• The ability to work a variety of rotating shifts, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
• The willingness to accept responsibility, and the ability to work unsupervised for long periods of time.
• A positive, upbeat, non-Type A personality.
• No serious physical ailments. All of our positions involve standing on your feet for long periods of time, plus frequently lifting 30-40 pound boxes of books.
• A minimum time commitment of one year.
• Competitive compensation. None of our positions are minimum wage.
• Fully paid extended medical benefits, including dental, for full-time staff.
• An unparalleled opportunity to work in a creative, entrepreneurial, non-corporate environment.
• The opportunity to take on increasing responsibilities, and to be compensated accordingly.
If interested in either full- or part-time work, please send a detailed resume, including the names and contact details of at least three current references, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, NO phone calls or walk-in requests for work. Please also note that our part-time positions are a MINIMUM of 20 hours a week, and probably not suitable for those enrolled full time in school.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest, but regret that we will be only able to contact selected applicants for interviews.
Broken Pencil launches zine awards
16 hours ago