Pulpfiction Books, Vancouver’s largest independent bookstore, seeks a mature, enthusiastic individual interested in joining us as a full time bookseller.
The successful candidate will:
• Work a minimum of 24 and up to 40 hours per week. The position will be part time in the short term, but will likely become full time within a 4 month period.
• Not currently be attending college or university full time, or plan to within the next 12 months.
• Be available for a variety of shifts, including mornings, evenings, and weekends.
• Possess good practical intelligence, and the ability to work quickly and multitask under pressure. Please note that this position involves a lot of physical and mental activity, and is best compared to fast-paced warehouse or restaurant work. Those interested in standing behind a cash desk socializing and/or being paid to read will not be a good fit for this position.
• Have previous customer service or supervisory experience. Previous experience in bookselling is preferred but not required. Some of our most valuable staff came to us with no previous bookselling experience.
• Have a wide familiarity with contemporary literary fiction and non-fiction.
• Already possess an undergraduate degree or equivalent work history.
• Bring other skills and abilities to the table. Examples: social media (Twitter; Blogger); basic accounting and/or bookkeeping skills; carpentry; HTML; SQL, PHP & MYSQL coding experience, etc. etc. etc.
We offer competitive compensation and a vibrant, non-corporate work environment.
To apply for this position, please forward a detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, NO phone calls, non-resume email queries, or walk-in requests for employment.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but may, depending on resume volume, not be able to reply to everyone.