Pulpfiction Books, Vancouver’s largest independent bookstore, seeks a mature, enthusiastic individual interested in joining us as a full time bookseller in late January or early February 2015.
The successful candidate will:
• Work a full 40 hours per week. This is a full time position.
• Not currently be attending college or university full time, or plan to within two to three years.
• Be available for a variety of shifts, including mornings, evenings, and weekends at all three of our locations.
• Possess good practical intelligence, and the ability to work quickly and multitask under pressure. The job involves a lot of physical and mental activity, and is best compared to fast-paced warehouse or restaurant work. Those interested in standing behind a cash desk socializing and/or being paid to read will not be a good fit with us.
• Be client-focused. Every time we hire we invariably interview someone who knows lots about books, but very little about client service, and even less about sales. We can teach our retail systems to almost anyone, but we can't teach empathy and good judgment, which are more elusive components of character, and highly prized around here.
• Have previous customer service or supervisory experience. Previous book-related experience is preferred but not required. Some of our most valuable staff came to us with no previous bookselling experience.
• Have a wide familiarity with contemporary literary fiction and non-fiction.
• Already possess an undergraduate degree or equivalent work history.
• Bring other skills and abilities to the table. Examples: social media (Twitter; Blogger); basic accounting and/or bookkeeping skills; carpentry; HTML; SQL, PHP & MYSQL coding experience, etc. etc. etc.
We offer competitive compensation and a vibrant, entrepreneurial work environment.
To apply for this position, please forward a detailed resume to email@example.com. Please, NO phone calls, non-resume email queries, or walk-in requests for employment.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but may, depending on resume volume, not be able to reply to everyone.
Broken Pencil launches zine awards
16 hours ago